The countdown for Christmas has begun and its official, I’m going with a red & white color scheme this year. Not the Target look, but something more along the lines of striped candy canes and red barns.
Today I just finished a most amazing story. No not really, but here’s what I did finish. A candy cane countdown to Christmas chain. The kids will take a link off each day, and from the Little Reader to the teenager fun will be had by all. Here’s our list of activities and what we are doing.
1. Texas Tech Basketball game. Wear red.
2. Gingerbread books & make gingerbread sandwiches
3. Make paper bag gingerbread houses
4. Read Legend of the Candy Cane & make candy cane sun catchers
5. Watch a Christmas movie
6. Christmas tree books
7. Pinecone Christmas trees
8. Santa Claus books & letters to Santa
9. Nutcracker books
10. Nutcracker stick puppets
11. Christmas puzzles
12. Snowman soup & make a gingerbread house
13. Reindeer books & make ornaments
14. Reindeer food
15. Drive around to look at Christmas lights & bundle up for a neighborhood walk.
16. Read The Giving Tree & surprise someone with an act of kindness
17. Christmas Story & Nativity craft
18. Bake cookies
19. Snow globe books & make snow globes
20. Christmas popcorn
21. Animal hibernation books
22. Make ornaments for the birds and squirrels
23. Read snow books & have an indoor snowball fight
24. The Night Before Christmas & reindeer rest
25. Merry Christmas!
Cut strips and pasted activity on each. Bell template from website. http://www.freekidcrafts.com/countdown-christmas-bell.html
Christmas Chain Poem:
From now until Christmas
Is the longest time of the year.
It seems as though old Santa
Never will appear.
How many days ‘til Christmas
Is mighty hard to count.
So this little paper chain
Will show the exact amount.
Take one of the chains off each night.
When Sandman casts his spell.
And Christmas will be here real soon.
By the time you reach the bell!
Voila! There you have it, our candycane chain.
We are so excited for our first activity.
Look what my Big Reader (C) found on a romp with Mom
(He’s getting ready for a 50 states test)
By D’Amico, Joan
Gobble up factual tidbits and tasty bits native to each of the fifty states. No, we are not going to attempt eating all of
, but will pick out a few that look interesting. C started with the Wisconsin Cheddar Dill Puffs. How much food can an eleven year old consume? America
The Scrambled States of America
By Keller, Laurie
During a party the states amusingly decide they want to switch locations. But after leaning the grass isn’t greener on the other side, they must find their way home. A perfect blend of education and entertainment, and to make more enjoyable they have the game as well.
The Scrambles States of
Talent Show America
The states are at it again and now putting on a talent show. As stage fright sets in, what will it take for the show to go on?
This Little Texan’s stockpiling books. “GIT-R-READ”
A Few off the Top!
Christmas is Coming
By Bowen, Anne
Night Before Christmas in
, That Is Texas
By Luttrell, William
A New Improved Santa
By Wolff, Patricia Rae
On the carousel today. Did you know there is candy cane Jell-O and spoons? I didn't.
This will be a great addition to our candy cane activity.